Director/Pastor of Children’s Ministry
Reports to: Lead Pastor
Hours: Part-Time (10-20 hrs/week)
Location: LaPorte, Indiana
State Street Community Church started in January 2010 with a heart and vision to form a community around people who are looking for a just and generous approach to the local church. Every week, we join together to sing songs, wrestle with deeper truths about God and humanity, and give thanks for the good and gracious gift that is Jesus Christ. We’re located in a downtown neighborhood in the heart of LaPorte, Indiana, and we’ve formed an intergenerational community of 250-350 people gathering each week. We’re an ecumenically-inclusive, non-denominational church. We trust the Bible as it points us to Jesus, and we trust the Apostles’ Creed as a guiding interpretation of what it teaches. We believe that diversity among our leadership team is critical to our work as a community of faith, and we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. We are the visionary founder and manager of the Pax Center, Brighton Street Green Space, and Jackson Street Community Garden.
Role Summary: This is a role that works in cooperation with an active and engaged staff. The right leader will bring creative energy to the challenge — leading volunteers who serve our families through programming that is informed by early childhood and elementary education best practices. They’ll search out and implement curriculum, recruit and train volunteers, partner with families, and ensure a safe, nurturing environment for the children of State Street Community Church. The primary role is to help children cultivate a just and generous Christian expression of faith. This position is one of the most vital in our church community.
Core Areas of Responsibility:
- Schedule and communicate with volunteers
- Train, support, and encourage volunteers
- Prepare and distribute curriculum for classrooms
- Create environments and situations where the kids can create community through parties and events outside of Sunday morning
- Kind, compassionate, and humble — while it should go without saying, State Street’s staff values productive and friendly work environments.
- Creative — being a community that is not afraid to experiment and innovate, solutions and ideas need engagement from creative leaders.
- Adaptability — success at State Street means being responsive to changing situations and new opportunities.
- Education and experience — the ideal candidate will have experience, education, and/or knowledge in education, social work, or ministry.
- Technological aptitude — you needn’t be Steve Jobs, but we rely heavily on Planning Center, Trello, and Google Docs to survive. Since much of this position can be done remotely, the ideal candidate should be comfortable with current and future adaptations of technology.
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Note: If the person hired has been ordained previously, it is State Street’s practice to honor that ordination. We hold an egalitarian view of leadership and celebrate men and women in ordained work as pastors.